Doris Day – Day by Day 1956
Day by Day is a Doris Day album released by Columbia Records on December 17, 1956. The title is an obvious pun, both meaning “on a daily basis” (as implied in the song title) and “(Doris) Day, in the daytime” (and thus leading to a later album entitled Day by Night). The album was issued as Columbia.
Doris Day packed four careers into one lifetime, two each in music and movies. The pity is that all most people remember are her movies, from Teacher’s Pet (1957) onward, as the quintessential all-American girl, cast opposite such icons of masculinity as Clark Gable and Rock Hudson. She also transposed this following to television at the end of the ’60s with a situation comedy that lasted into the early ’70s. If most people remember her as a singer, it’s usually for such pop hits as “Secret Love” and her Oscar-winning “Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be),” which became her signature tune.
But before all of that, from 1939 until the end of the ’40s, Doris Day was one of the hottest, sultriest swing-band vocalists in music. That body of work — which contains at least one unabashed, classic early-’40s recording, “Sentimental Journey” — is one of the most impressive in the fields of swing and popular jazz, and deserves to be heard far more than it is. Moreover, before those late-’50s comedies, Day had a film career that included adaptations of Broadway musicals (The Pajama Game), classic thrillers (The Man Who Knew Too Much), and searing social drama (Storm Warning).
Video: Doris Day – Da By Day
- “The Song Is You” (Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II) – 3:19
- “Hello, My Lover, Goodbye” (Johnny Green, Edward Heyman) – 3:38
- “But Not for Me” (George and Ira Gershwin) – 2:38
- “I Remember You” (Victor Schertzinger, Johnny Mercer) – 4:02
- “I Hadn’t Anyone Till You” (Ray Noble) – 3:04
- “But Beautiful” (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke) – 3:24
- “Autumn Leaves” (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert, Johnny Mercer) – 3:03
- “Don’t Take Your Love from Me” (Henry Nemo) – 3:24
- “There Will Never Be Another You” (Harry Warren, Mack Gordon) – 2:43
- “Gone with the Wind” (Herbert Magidson, Allie Wrubel) – 2:47
- “The Gypsy in My Soul” (Clay Boland, Moe Jaffe) – 3:02
- “Day by Day” (Axel Stordahl, Paul Weston, Sammy Cahn) – 3:23
All tracks have vocals by Day accompanied by Paul Weston’s orchestra.